New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 335

People Online:
Visitors: 59
Members: 0
Total: 59

Freebooters: Forums

Freebooters :: View topic - Dwarfs get Squatted and Squats come back

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dwarfs get Squatted and Squats come back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatemonger
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Dwarfs get Squatted and Squats come back Reply with quote

Wow, no GW rumors posted here in a long time. It's almost like they stopped releasing information, and people started caring less and less about their games...

Well I guess we're not the only ones, and I guess they're feeling it in the wallet, because all the big rumors these days point toward "reboot" type efforts for both 40k and Fantasy, although with very, VERY different strategies for the two.

For 40k, the theme seems to be going back and recapturing the Good Old Days.

Aside from the Harlequins that just got a new codex (!) of their own, here's what's in the future timeline, from Warseer:
drbored wrote:
WE DID IT GENTLEMEN

To summarize...

-In No Particular Order-
Adeptus Mechanicus Codex & models (full release)
Genestealer Cult Codex & models (Harelquin sized release)
Deathwatch Codex & models (Harelquin sized release)
Horus Heresy Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of 30k range - Mark 4 + Cataphract armors featured.
Assassins Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of the 40k range.

Also of note:
Greater Daemons all complete
Dark Angels later in the year
Tzeentch later in the year

This guy is not the originator of the rumors. He just compiled it from... well, the guy that is basically always right about rumors.

So, plastic HH marines, Genestealer Cult coming back, AdMech released as a real army, a standalone Assassin game (could it be an official Killteam/skirmish game?), Tzeentch release for Zot. In short, almost everything I could have wished for in 40k.

Why does it all have to come out in one year? Shocked

The only thing missing from that list is Squats - and frankly, at this point, I wouldn't rule it out.

So then... about Fantasy. The future does not look quite as rosy for square bases.

First off, these "End Times" shenanigans, with forces splitting and recombining into new factions... that's not some temporary deal - that's the face of things to come. Whole armies are going away. When all is done, there will be 6 armies in the game, and none of them will look like any of the army books you know now.

From Harry on Warseer:
Harry wrote:
I say again ... much depends on your definition of "squatted" ... If by "Squatted" you mean wiped of the face of the planet then ... No they are not getting squatted. Will they still exist? ... Yes. Can you play with them? ... Yes. If by "squatted" you mean the same thing that happened to squats in 40K .... they will not have any new miniatures made for them and they will not get a new army book then .... Yes ... they get squatted. Along with some others.
If by squatted you mean re-imagined to the point that the new stuff looks so different from the old stuff that you struggle to put it side by side on the table to the point that it might as well be a different army ... then we are looking at a few more armies.

You only have to look through the existing range next to some of the new stuff to see where this is heading .... it's fantasy, Jim, but not as we know it.

So then Harry had a big Q&A with one person who is unverified but seems to know a lot:
Ikitlagriffe wrote:
Are these from your own sources YES, FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES.
or simply your interpretation of what you have collected from the interwebz? SERIOUSLY ?... NO.

I am pretty sure you speak English very much better than I speak any other language NOT SURE ! SORRY FOR THAT.

9th edition will be 90% the same as 8th edition YES, ABOUT RULES, SAME OPINION FROM 2 DIFFERENT SOURCES.
The new 'Factions' ...
...will look so different from the existing armies they might as well be new armies YES
These new armies will be made from new units/characters MAJORITY YES
The new units will have a very different aesthetic from existing miniatures. 200% YES
The new units can be used by one or more of the existing armies. YES
OR can just be used as units for generic 'Forces of order' Or forces of destruction' armies. NO
I can keep my "OLD COLLECTION" YES
... but don't expect any new miniatures for a while? I CAN'T SAY THAT FROM WHAT I KNOW BUT LIKELY DEDUCTION
9th Edition will get a boxed set.I HEARD ABOUT A BOX OF BOOKS
In the box will be a rule book? YES
a skirmish Rule book YES / and a Warhammer armies book NOT EXACTLY : but a listing of playable units or pre-constructed groups YES.
The warhammer armies book will have a limited army list for each faction. YES, but I HAD NO INFORMATION ABOUT "FACTIONS" (and this number of "6" ??), so I would say "for each army".
There is a points system. YES
But it is not compulsory (So you can pick 'X' number of characters/units from the selection) SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Skirmish is not intended to be the main way to play Warhammer ... but an alternative. YES
This will be a simple starter game without a lot of complex special rules. An introductory game. YES
Some fantasy miniatures will be supplied on round bases due to rules changes YES
... but not all.... just skirmishing units DON'T KNOW and units attached to ranked units? YES
...and big Warmachines? ATTACHED TO RANKED UNITS YES
Characters will be on round bases. (Or oval bases for cavalry) YES
... and so characters can no longer join ranked up units. PERSONAL DEDUCTION, BUT YES
I do not need to re-base my existing characters to use them YES - two times confirmed
Round bases are nothing to do with the new skirmish game YES.
You don't know what is going on with round bases EXPLAINED BY MINOR CHANGES OF RULES, FROM WHAT I KNOW.
Bretonnians will not get a new army book and will not get any new units STRICTLY SPEAKING YES
There will be some units which are a bit like Bretonnians in a new 'Forces of order' book YES
Loads of stuff coming for Skaven but you don't know when. YES
New skaven stuff will not look like the existing Skaven stuff but an evolution. YES
Beastmen ... future is uncertain but you guess they will find a place in Chaos. YES, I GUESS.
Lots of new stuff to come for Fantasy. YES
Most stuff will be new units monsters or characters. YES
Elite units will be smaller 2-5 minis.YES
Look of armies will change. OH YES !
Smaller armies with less miniatures and more big stuff. LOGICALLY
No information about new rules. NO DETAILS YES, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE MINOR CHANGES.

Ruleswise, seems like keeping it generally the same but streamlined a bunch (which is good IMO). Not sure about the round base thing, but my guess is they'll do something like Warmaster, where you just put the character touching the unit and say "it's joined" and not worry about ranking up, or whether your dude is on a 40mm base in a unit of 25mm bases, etc. (again good, IMO).

Armywise... haha? Speculation is rampant, of course, but following along the End Times structures, the common guesses are:
1) Empire of survivors - it's the "Empire" in name, but includes all the non-choas humans (like Brettonia), dwarfs, maybe halflings, maybe some ogres.
2) Nagash - combined undead, like End Times
3) Chaos - again combined, Beastmen, Warriors, daemons
4) Savage hordes - Orcs, gobbos, Ogre Kingdoms
5) Elves - whoever is left from the "You're not my real Dad! Mom always loved you best!" wars will presumably kiss and make up and live happily ever trademarked.
6) ???

Notably missing are
a) Skaven, who will possibly join into the Chaos book, or could possibly be their own as #6
b) Lizardmen, who by every rumor thusfar, are just going away. Literally. Like, the Big Frog just looks around and says "Nope" and they all head through a portal to follow the Old Ones home. Whatever lizards get left behind just get used for "counts as" units somewhere else, like their magic dinobot laser used as a not-Empire Warmachine, or a unit of skinks as goblins.

Now that I think about it...
Humans and dwarfs are a quasi-buddy empire. Chaos and Undead have one book each, instead of 5+. Ogres are just big guys in other armies. Lizards are more for background than a playable army.
Sounds like Fantasy from 25 years ago.

Maybe their strategies for 40k and WFB aren't so different after all?

- H8
Copyright(C) 2016 Freebooters(TM). Batteries not included. Some assembly required. Not suitable for children under 12. Not a step. This bag is not a toy. Do not put head in Mongo Bat. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Void where prohibited. Die Horribly.
Hatemonger
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about the new Fantasy not-armies.

Random new person posted this on Dakka:
WhispererofTruth wrote:
Araloth
Cauldron of Blood/Bloodwrack Shrine
Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers
Sisters of the Thorn/Wildriders of Kurnous
Witch Elves of Khaine/Sisters of Slaughter
Treeman
Savage Orcs
Night Goblins
Night Goblin Fanatics
Stonehorn/Thundertusk
Mournfang Cavalry
Thanquol and Boneripper
Vermin Lord
Warlord
Grey Seer
Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace
Stormvermin
Stormfiends
Doomwheel
Hellpit Abomination
Nagash
Coven Throne/Mortis Engine
Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon
Mortarchs
Morghasts
Glottkin
Maggoth Lords
Gutrot Spume
Blightkings
Gorereapers
Wrathmongers
Chaos Spawn
Chaos Warshrine
Chaos Daemons
Ghorgon/Cygor
Grimm Burlockson
Josef Bugman
Runesmith
Ironbreakers/Irondrakes
Gyrocopter

When pressed about context, she(?) replied:
WhispererofTruth wrote:
... the list is a list of the units that will survive 9th. I don't think the list is complete tbf. There's a couple of other units that I think should be there, but I haven't heard that they will be.

7 Champions and an army of light.

No more Lizardmen, but still playable.

No more Gnoblars/Skinks. They become Goblins.

No more Beastmen.

Elves become more Eldary, units take on aspects of their gods.

There are some units like the Blood Knights that I expected to survive into 9th, but the events of the books have made me doubt this is going to happen anymore. They were due to be updated. Plus it fits with the new merging unit policy, not sure that's happening anymore though. Something similar happened to the Bone Giant, that being said I heard the Bone Giant was getting a redesign and a release some point in the future.

The game will become more Fantasy like, less cannons and warmachines. More magical. It's not just the "Humans" that get empowered by the gods all factions will experience this.

Put that in your pipe, squarebasers!

- H8
Copyright(C) 2016 Freebooters(TM). Batteries not included. Some assembly required. Not suitable for children under 12. Not a step. This bag is not a toy. Do not put head in Mongo Bat. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Void where prohibited. Die Horribly.
grimm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like GW is condensing the Fantasy line (6 armies) while expanding the 40K lines. At least, that's what I'm getting from these re-posts.

"DON'T YOU KNOW ALL YOU HAVE TO BE IS WARM AND MOIST!?!"
[FB]zetazot
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the round based heavy portfolio wins again!

All things depending, the skirmish game might mean I get to dust off some Mordheim warbands and ruin another game.

Please note: If this image changes to something horrible... H8 did it, but I will still blame Wike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stepchild
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little ponies ... Evil or Very Mad

More like Sad
[FB]zetazot
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW Nazi says to the soulless Ginger...

No ponies for you!

Now you get to hang out with the Empire guys... what's wrong with that?

Please note: If this image changes to something horrible... H8 did it, but I will still blame Wike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joose
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be very interesting if they made the two systems playable against each other somehow. It would make a lot of sense for GW since they'd sell a lot more Fantasy models if the two worked together.
grimm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepchild wrote:
My little ponies ... Evil or Very Mad

More like Sad

It's cool, Stepchild. You can always play Ponyfinder.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/145078/Ponyfinder--5th-Edition-Translation

"DON'T YOU KNOW ALL YOU HAVE TO BE IS WARM AND MOIST!?!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Freebooters Forum Index -> Rumor Mill All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: